JOB TITLE: Accountant
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2019
SUMMARY: Under the general direction of the Executive Director, the Accountant performs specialized tasks related to financial accounting, human resources, and operating activities on behalf of the Paul Sawyier Public Library.
– Manage all accounting functions including but not limited to accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and purchasing.
– Review, evaluate and implement accounting systems, policies, and procedures.
– Ensure all financial reports are prepared in a timely and accurate manner.
– Prepare and present financial statements and related reports including but not limited to balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis.
– Prepare monthly balancing of books and monthly account reviews for Board of Trustees meeting; prepare and present monthly financial statements for Executive Director and Board Treasurer.
– Coordinate annual independent audit, with outside CPA firm; prepare annual tax documents.
– In coordination with the Library Director, establish, implement, and evaluate procedures for bookkeeping, accounting and auditing.
– Gather information and submits annual, quarterly, and monthly reports on behalf of Paul Sawyier Public Library for Kentucky Department of Library and Archives (KDLA), the Department for Local Governments (DLG), Kentucky Retirement Systems (CERS), Kentucky Department of Employee Insurance (KDEI), and Governor’s Office for Early Childhood.
– Work in conjunction with the Executive Director to direct the development and administration of library human resources policies and practices in accordance with state and federal legal requirements.
– Assist in hiring managers with recruitment activities and retention strategies.
– Review and analyze wage and salary reports; track employee vacation and sick leave balances.
– Advise and assist library management with human resources and management matters.
– Oversee management of controversial and sensitive staff issues.
– Directly oversee library room reservations by answering questions about the room availability and maintaining the calendar.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
– Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Organizational Management, or related field.
– 3-5 years related experience or equivalent.
– Working knowledge of budget forecasting and financial reports.
– Ability to work with all levels of management.
– Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
– Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
– Proven leadership and business acumen skills.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
– Proficient in QuickBooks, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
– Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
– Strong interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
– Customer Service–Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
– Interpersonal Skills–Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
– Leadership–Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
– Business Acumen–Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
– Organizational Support–Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
– Professionalism–Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
– Frequently required to stand, walk
– Continually required to sit; to utilize hand and finger dexterity; talk and hear
– Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl; lift, push, carry
– Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and use a keyboard
– Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day.
– Ability to work under pressure, coordinating multiple responsibilities simultaneously, and meet firm deadlines.
– Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, exempt position. Benefits included are health insurance, dental and vision insurance, cafeteria plans available, participation in Kentucky Retirement System, Kentucky Deferred Compensation, Life Insurance, and more.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates for this position will submit a Cover Letter of Interest, Resume, and Completed PSPL Job Application. This job posting will remain open until Sunday, July 7, 2019.
All candidate materials should be received, no later than Sunday, June 30, 2019, via mail, email, or hand delivered to the Library. Only candidates that have handed in all requested materials will be considered.
Paul Sawyier Public Library
ATTN: Human Resources
319 Wapping Street
Frankfort KY 40601
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.