Summary: Under flexible supervision, circulation clerk performs tasks related to the lending and return of library materials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works at the circulation desk directing and assisting patrons with automated self-check system.
- Performs opening/closing procedures in work and public areas.
- Checks in/out materials, renewals and holds.
- Collects fines and registering patrons.
- Assists in assuring accurate library shelving by shelf-reading and re-shelving of materials.
- Straightens library materials on the shelves, shifting and cleaning as necessary.
- Positively communicates and educates library patrons about services and policies.
- Welcomes patron inquiries and provides limited reference assistance from the front desk.
- Answers telephones and provides routine information or refers and transfers calls.
- Assists in training of library volunteers.
- Attends staff meetings to learn all procedures and changes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for assistance.
- Ability to deal with people tactfully and effectively, establish and maintain effective working relations and provide excellent customer service to all people.
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations, responding to customer needs and requests for service and/or assistance.
- Maintains customer and staff confidentiality.
- Ability to treat others with respect and consideration regardless of status or position.
- Ability to work independently within a framework of assigned responsibilities; uses time efficiently.
- Must be able to adapt to a change in work schedule, keeping in mind the library is open daily.
- Meets and follows through on commitments.
Education and/or Experience:
Minimum of high school diploma or GED. Experience working in a public library preferred.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. Occasional travel to other locations to work or attend meetings may be required. There may be some work performed outdoors or in other community buildings.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This schedule is non-negotiable
$10.70/hour. Benefit package includes vacation leave, holiday pay, optional deferred compensation program and optional flexible spending healthcare account.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and completed application by July 18, 2018. Resume optional. All documents can be submitted via email or mailed to the contact information below:
Paul Sawyier Public Library
ATTN: Human Resources
319 Wapping St
Frankfort KY 40601
NO phone calls please.