Will have in-house reference and circulation responsibilities. Will provide mobile library service and programming to meet the needs of citizens throughout the city and county who are unable to regularly visit the library building. This includes homebound patrons, underserved locations, assisted living and retirement communities, seniors and special populations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include, but not limited to, the following)
– Perform all duties associated with the circulation of library materials.
– Answer standard reference questions, provide reader’s advisory, demonstrate and troubleshoot the use of equipment as it relates to electronic content, which includes tablets and phones, processes hold requests, initiates interlibrary loan requests.
– Evaluate the appropriateness of and selects materials for Outreach circulation.
– Participate in outreach events and prepare displays to market library services.
– Maintain a schedule that takes the outreach van into all sections of the county.
– Continually work to expand and develop the delivery program.
– Work with Youth Services Outreach staff on special tasks and/or assignments.
– Work with the Community Services Librarian on special tasks.
– Collaborate with other staff on special projects.
– Be willing to take classes and library training to become and remain certified with the Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives.
– Other duties as assigned.
This position will require working during any of the hours that the Library is open, including evenings and weekends. Although a weekly schedule is established, the needs of the Library may require schedule changes and flexibility.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Customer Service – Respond to requests for information, service and assistance with a positive attitude.
Interpersonal Skills – Maintain confidentiality; ability to coordinate with staff and establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships within a team environment. Communicate effectively with customer/patrons in a friendly and respectful way.
Planning/Organizing – Ability to work independently; use time efficiently; set goals and objectives.
Education and/or Experience
– College degree preferred; or two years college and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Experience working with diverse groups of people a plus.
– Must have a Kentucky driver’s license with excellent driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
– Knowledge of practices, procedures, techniques, material and technology used in professional library service, including general reference, circulation, and adult library services.
– Demonstrate effective use of TLC Database software, spreadsheet, word processing and social media tools. Must have a willingness to learn new technology, including library technologies.
– Knowledge of computer tablets, e-readers, iPads, smartphones and demonstrated ability to help patrons in need of assistance when using these devices to utilize library databases.
– Ability to solve practical problems without supervisor intervention. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
– Ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations, responding to customer needs and requests for service and assistance.
– Ability to deal with people tactfully and effectively, establish and maintain effective working relations, and provide excellent customer service to all library patrons.
– Ability to organize own work, setting priorities and meeting deadlines. May be required to adjust schedule.
– Must be flexible and able to handle frequent interruptions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of TLC Database software, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access) and demonstrate effective use of them. Must have experience with social media tools. Must have a willingness to learn new technology, including library technologies.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will need to gather books, load and unload them into a van, and visit residences and facilities, lifting and moving books, pushing carts and pulling crates of materials. Occasional travel to attend meetings may be required. There will be some work performed outdoors or in other community buildings.
Requires driving and regular travel around the community and county and loading/unloading materials and/or equipment in all kinds of weather conditions.
– Competitive salary
– 12 paid vacation days, plus one extra day for each addition year of service to maximum of 22 days
– Health insurance
– Paid life insurance
– Paid, single, dental insurance
– Paid sick leave of one day per month worked
– Participation in the Kentucky Retirement System
– Thirteen paid holiday annually
– Option to participate in deferred compensation plan
– Option to participate in flexible spending plan
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Paul Sawyier Public Library
ATTN: Human Resources
319 Wapping Street
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Application deadline: July 14
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.