Job Definition: Performs a variety of informational services to meet the needs of patrons and staff, including basic reference support and handling all duties at the circulation desk.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Works at the circulation desk or other public service points to answer standard reference questions, provide reader’s advisory and monitor customer service ; demonstrates and troubleshoots the use of equipment, PC’s, tablets and related software as needed.
• Responds to reference and circulation inquiries over the phone and through the library’s Chat service.
• Responds to inquiries concerning library electronic services.
• Proficiently handles all circulation duties, including desk opening and closing procedures.
• Proactively seeks to assist patrons by circulating the library floor regularly to actively assist patrons with their requests, catalog inquiries, and self-check and Reader’s Advisory questions, demonstrating tact and professionalism in all face- to-face patron communications.
• Teaches the use of specific research tools in print, electronic, and web-based formats through point-of-need instruction at the public service desk.
• Works with all electronic databases and the library’s online catalog, becoming familiar with intricacies of each tool.
• Works with the Community Services Librarian to provide programing for patrons, including those patrons who are in assisted living facilities.
• Works with the Web/Technologies Librarian to provide assistance to patrons on electronic devices and/or classroom instruction on said devices.
• Works with librarians on special tasks.
This position may require working during any of the hours that the Library is open, including evenings and weekends. Although a weekly schedule is established, the needs of the Library may require schedule changes and flexibility.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Customer Service – Respond to requests for information, service and assistance with a positive attitude.
Interpersonal Skills – Maintain confidentiality; ability to coordinate with others and establish and maintain effective working relationships within a team environment. Planning/Organizing – Ability to work independently; use time efficiently; set goals and objectives.
Education and/or Experience
College degree; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience working with diverse groups of people a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of practices, procedures, techniques, material and technology used in professional library service, including general reference, classification, circulation, and adult library services.
• Knowledge of computer tablets, e-readers, iPads, smartphones and demonstrated ability to help patrons and/or staff in need of assistance when using these devices to utilize library databases.
• Ability to solve practical problems without supervisor intervention. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations, responding to customer needs and requests for service and assistance. Maintains high quality customer service skills
• Ability to deal with people tactfully and effectively, establish and maintain effective working relations, and provide excellent customer service to all library patrons.
• Ability to organize own work, setting priorities and meeting deadlines. May be required to adjust schedule to work occasional days and/or unscheduled evenings depending on staffing levels.
• Must be flexible and able to handle frequent interruptions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of TLC Database software, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and demonstrate effective use of them. Must have experience with social media tools. Must have a willingness to learn new technology, including library technologies.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Occasional travel to other locations to work or attend meetings may be required. There may be some work performed outdoors or in other community buildings.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and completed application by August 19, 2019. All documents can be submitted via email or mailed to the contact information below:
Paul Sawyier Public Library
ATTN: Human Resources
319 Wapping St
Frankfort KY 40601
NO phone calls please.