Paul Sawyier Public Library has an opening for a permanent part-time front desk clerk who performs tasks related to functions of the Youth Services Department and the circulation of library materials. The schedule includes days, evenings and weekends. High School diploma or GED required. A library degree or experience working in a library preferred. Must have reliable transportation and may be subject to a background check.
Send cover letter with completed employment application to Human Resources Administrator, Paul Sawyier Public Library, 319 Wapping Street, Frankfort, KY 40601. Completed applications and letters may also be dropped off at the front desk of the library. Emailed copies are welcomed, please send to HR@pspl.org. NO phone calls please.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works Youth Services desk, assisting patrons using the library.
- Performs opening/closing procedures in work and public areas.
- Checks in/out limited materials, renewals and holds.
- Assists in assuring accurate library shelving by shelf-reading and re-shelving of materials.
- Straightens library materials on the shelves and shifts materials as necessary.
- Positively communicates and educates library patrons about services and policies.
- Welcomes patron inquiries and provides limited reference assistance from the desk.
- Answers telephones and provides routine information or refers and transfers calls.
- Assists in training of library volunteers.
- Attends staff meetings to learn all procedures and changes.
- Works on special projects as assigned by the Youth Services Coordinator.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule (The following schedule reflects the typical work schedule August to May; schedule from June to August will vary based on the needs of the library)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for assistance; maintains customer confidentiality; meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills – Personal contact with the public and fellow employees is continual, requiring strong communication skills, tactfulness, diplomacy, and good judgment under stressful situations, keeping emotions under control.
Planning/Organizing – Ability to work independently within a framework of assigned responsibilities; uses time efficiently. In order to accommodate the needs of the library, must be able to adapt to a change in work schedule, keeping in mind the library is open daily.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Knowledge – Has knowledge of children’s literature.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Occasional travel to other locations to work or attend meetings may be required. There may be some work performed outdoors or in other community buildings.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
$10.70/hour. 23 hour work week. Benefit package includes vacation leave, holiday pay, and optional deferred compensation program and optional flexible spending healthcare account.