Job Title: Youth Services Specialist (Young Adult focus)
Summary: Permanent, full-time position. Under limited supervision and with significant latitude for independent judgement, works to provide outreach services for children, young adults, teachers, classes and other groups. Responsible for assisting in meeting the goals of the Youth Services Department. Develops and implements new and existing services that meet the needs of the community. Works extensively with the public and staff members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides specialized library service for tweens (grades 3-5), young adults (grades 6-12), their families, and associated organizations
- Develops, plans and implements engaging events, services, tools, and initiatives for tweens, young adults, their families, and associated organizations
- Provides outreach services to Frankfort/Franklin County community to young adults, their families and schools that serve 6th grade and above
- Serves as liaison to teens and their families at community centers, social services agencies, schools, and churches; provides information about Library and outreach activities, facilities and services
- Works to foster relationships with community organizations serving young adults; develops and works with community and school contacts to promote library services; assists with the development of promotional materials and distribution strategies; delivers and distributes promotional and library materials throughout community
- Represents the Library at community events
- Collaborates with Youth Services Coordinator and leads and/or assists in the development, implementation and evaluation of new services and programs for young adults
- Presents talks on books and programs to encourage reading
- Provides public services including reference, readers advisory and programs
- Coordinates and collaborates on special projects with the Youth Services department and other library departments or organizations
- Assists in collection development and collection maintenance in the Young Adult collection
- Creates tools for library users using technology and other methods
- Serves as library representative at various community functions and meetings
- Promotes the library and library services
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of practices, procedures, techniques, material and technology used in professional library service, including general reference, classification, circulation, collection development and adult library services
- Knowledge of contemporary teen literature and literacy best-practices
- Knowledge of child & adolescent development
- Knowledge of contemporary young adult literature
- Knowledge of library databases, digital collections and services
- Extensive knowledge of Franklin County community
- Ability to navigate the internet and other online tools, including various social media
- Ability to solve practical problems without supervisor intervention
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations, responding to customer needs and requests for service and assistance
- Maintains high quality customer service skills
- Ability to organize own work, set priorities and meet deadlines. May be required to adjust schedule to work community events as well as occasional unscheduled days, evenings or weekends depending on staffing levels
- Ability to deal with people tactfully and effectively, establish and maintain effective working relations, and provide excellent customer service to all library patrons
- Ability to contribute to a positive team spirit
- Ability to develop a project from inception to implementation on time and on budget
- Ability to balance team and individual responsibilities
- Ability to respond objectively and with openness to the ideas of others
- Ability to treat others with respect and consideration, regardless of status or position
- Ability to design and present developmentally appropriate programs
- Must follow through on commitments
- Must be flexible and able to handle frequent interruptions
- Must have a genuine caring and respect for children
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree required; four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret most documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to use and interpret decimal numbers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of library databases, electronic services and digital collections, be proficient using Microsoft Office, social media, and the general internet.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current Kentucky Driver’s License with clean driving record
Kentucky Library Certification or eligibility for Kentucky Library Certification
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employee will comply with mandates from the Office of the Governor and the Franklin County Health Department while at work which includes, but not limited to, wearing a facial covering and practicing social distancing from patrons and co-workers.
$15-18 per hour based on education and experience.
Benefit package includes health, dental and life insurance including optional FSA program. Retirement and optional deferred compensation program. Vacation, holiday pay and sick leave.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, employment application and résumé. All documents can be submitted via email or mailed to the contact information below:
Paul Sawyier Public Library
ATTN: Human Resources
319 Wapping St
Frankfort KY 40601
NO phone calls please.