Under Kentucky law (KRS173.380) “every Library established or maintained under KRS 173.300-173.390 shall be free for the use of the inhabitants of the government unit in which it is located, subject to such reasonable rules and regulations the trustees find necessary.
The Paul Sawyier Public Library strives to provide, on equal terms, free Library services to all residents of Franklin County. The Library abides by the American Library Association Library Bill of Rights, which states, “A person’s right to use a Library should not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background or views.”
For the comfort and protection of all Library patrons, the Library has adopted the following policies.
WHILE IN THE LIBRARY NO PERSON SHALL BE ALLOWED TO:
1. Use tobacco or tobacco-like products, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco, any product containing tobacco, any tobacco substitute or any electronic smoking device, including but not limited to electronic cigarettes
2. Be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs/chemicals
3. Eat. Beverages with lids are allowed in non-computer areas
5. Be disruptive and/or disorderly
6. Destroy/deface property
7. Misuse the restrooms, i.e., shave, wash clothing or person, smoke, steal paper, etc.
9. Solicit, which includes, but is not limited to:
- a. Selling goods or services
- b. Distributing merchandise, flyers, literature or leaflets
- c. Soliciting donations or otherwise raising funds
- d. Panhandle
- e. Canvas or proselyte for political, religious, or other causes
- f. Circulate petitions
- g. Disturb information to patrons or the public for purposes of eliciting or influencing their opinions and associations, or promoting any causes other than those directly related and beneficial to the Library
10. Harass other patrons or staff
11. Be offensive or a nuisance in language, action, or body odor to other patrons or staff
12. Be in the Library before or after Library hours without prior permission
13. Trespass in non-public areas
14. Fail to provide proper supervision of children or adults in need of care
15. Enter or stay in the Library without proper attire which conforms to the standards of the community for public places, including shoes and shirts
16. Bring animals in the Library, with the exception of assistive/service animals or animals involved in Library programs or events
17. Bring trash, articles with foul odor, or articles which impede or discourage the use of the Library by others
Violations of these rules may result in expulsion from the Library and termination of Library privileges. Anyone refusing to leave the Library when requested is subject to prosecution under the Kentucky Revised Statutes.
If the patron violator is under the age of 16, a parent will be informed in writing, if possible.
Staff may ask a patron to leave the Library; may call for assistance from other staff, a parent or a guardian; may refer the child to a Supervisor or to the Director; may call the police for assistance; and/or may, with approval of the Supervisor and Director, suspend Library privileges of any patron who is not appropriately respecting the Library, Library staff or Library furniture or equipment.
Staff in the Youth Services Department may ask a child to leave the Library, may call for assistance from other staff, may call a parent or guardian, may refer the child to a Supervisor or to the Director, may call the police for assistance, and/or with the approval of the Supervisor and Director, suspend the Library privileges of any child who is not appropriately respecting the Library, Library staff or Library furniture or equipment.