Library History

Front of library (cropped)

Library History Timeline

  • 1906: the Woman’s Club of Frankfort decided that Kentucky’s capital city was in need of a public library
  • 1908: Frankfort’s first public library opened on December 12
  • 1925: plans were made to secure a more permanent home for the public library and the Woman’s Club
  • 1955: bookmobile service begins
  • 1965: bookmobile and library combine as the Paul Sawyier Public Library
  • 1976: Fountain Place location opens
  • 2006: new state-of-the-art building on Wapping Street opens
  • 2018: building expansion

See our Library History Gallery for more information.

Where Did the Name "Paul Sawyier Public Library" Come From?

Curious about the name Paul Sawyier? Check out our history and gallery information for this local artist.